Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Letter # 12 first letter from Ukraine

-Guess who is chilling in Kyiv! Yeah thats right I am!!!! Ha I made it! I I am so excited. Great news, I am now given a whole bundle more or internet time! I have an hour and fifteen minutes every P-day So to do that math. I have 45 additional minutes! Yup that means you actually get to know what is going on in my life now. So here is goes.
-We woke up at 3 AM on Friday morning and got ready to go to Ukraine. We were at the travel office by 5 and then on the way to the airport. At the airport I was still over weight with my two bags and two carry ons with an additiopnal BYU bag with my new shoes mom sent me. I totally threw away all my shampoo and something else that had no importance because I can't even remember what it was! ha ha I barely made it.

-I sat next to a man on the way to visit family in Sudan (sp?) He was a muslim. We talked about sugerbeats because he lives in Idaho Falls and does REseard on Sugar beats. Interesting but not as interesting as the islamic religian. We talked all about our religions. I had no idea they are so simillar. I guess I should have talked to Bakay more about that. I am sure he knows the deal. Well anyways that was super stellar. I loved it. I love learning. I think I foget how much I love it because It seems like a chore when it comes to school. But his religion is almost identical. He went to the temple dedication in idaho falls and has bet with the missionaries before. He said that he liked the missionaries but wanted them to tell him something more something that was different about their church. Of course I tried to find out what that difference was and it was kinda difficult. They do so much the same except the authority of a modern day prophet and personal prayers. I am sure there is a lot more but I didn't really get into it with him. He brought up a question/concern and its one I have never thought about..... Why do LDS family adopt black children? WEll that wasn't really the exact question but he felt it was the church recruiting blacks for diversity and by adopting them they are forced to grow up in it and are not adults to choose for themselves. I totally see how that could look bad especially from a black man outside of the church. It was interesting. Soemthing to chew on a bit.
-Then we had our flight to Kiev. That was neat too. We walked on the plane and I had Sis. Zenger switch seats with E Reynolds. SO we could comfortably sleep next to eachother on the plane. E Reynolds walked back and I guy sitting across the iasle asked what his church was and said he had questions for him and then asked if he could by a BOM from him. Of course e all that that was incredibly peachy seeing as we are all new misionaries. Ha ha I am all sorta of excited. They talked for a long time and he got the name of the Elders that "gave him such a wonderful gift" and then asked who he could ta to when he had more questions. Yeah this really happened I know It seems like a dream but it did. He then continued to read all the sections the elders gave him and moroni 10:3-5 and said that he would love to pray and find out if it was true. He was totally awesome! It was insaine. We also made freinds with an 8 year old girl named Vika She was super cute we shared snacks the whole plane ride! dad knows we had a delay and we were pushed back 4 hours which meant we got to kiev 4 hours late. Bummer but its all good then still found us. We only lost 2 bags which is really good i guess the two elders were a little edgy after that.
-We then met everyone and went and had a great dinner at the mission home wich is huge and beautiful. Then we went to the temple and the mission Office which are right next to eachother! It was beautiful. We got introduced to all the info and stuff and then went and met our trainers. As you already know I am with sister Robinson. She is a doll. We are servicing in Borshahivski. i have know I dea how to spell that. Oops. AKa I am in the Area of the Temple! And we get the brand new ward building. The ward is huge with lots of members. I tried my best to talk to everyone . I was kinda quiet. Everyone was very nive and told me my Ukrainian was beautiful. Its a good theng I came in with the attitufde that I wanted to learn both languages because I am surrounded by Russian. Its a challenge but nothing more than I can handle. I am excited to learn. I just smile and nod because I have no Idea what people are saying to be. ha ha Its way funny! I neeed to figure out how to learn the language I don't know how to study I should have practiced more when I was in College. Eh oh well that is passed already/ So If any of you have any suggestions I sure am in need of some help on learning a launguage and studying my scripts and everything!
-Last night we some how stumbled on a member lesson. We thought that they weren't members but the mom and daughter are but her sister, husband and son and other daughter are all non members. Don't worry we will baptise all of them! She spoke russian So I had no idea what was going on. Thank goodness for people that make gestures while they talk. Ha ha that saved me. I had this cool realization while I was walking in a grass area that reaked of pee and some random strey dogs walking around between two huge communist buildings, That I was so happy to finally be there. I just kinda laughed and was like I love it here. It is so much like romania to me that it is a home away from home.
-I am super excited to figure out this language so I can start doing my part in the work. Poor Sis Robinson is having to do all the talking. I soon will get it. I just don;'t know how ha ha ha! I am sorry for all my typos I think that I would be better because I had more time... FALSE I just wrote more. Well I have to go write my e-mail to the president. I don't really know what to say. Uh I am good. I don't speak the launguage. And I love life. Yup that somes it all up. just kidding I won't say that to him that would be bad.
-Turns out I do get them when you send them especially when I am here at the mission office as my area. So dear elder me! Especially my thursday that is zone conference! I want to hear from all of you! And everyone can e-mail me. and dear elders too! But I love you all so much thanks for all the love and prayers I sure do need them. But not really because life is good! I love it! Hop to hear more from you soon!
Sister Schmidt your favorite Missaionary ever!

1 comment:

  1. do you have Lauren's mailing address in Ukraine? I have a letter i want to send her. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete