Thursday, October 21, 2010

Letter #16

Are you ready to know what Sister Robinson and I did that is totally funny and retarded! We went to this story to get winter coats and they were so nice and only 100 dollars we were so excited they were even nicer then ones on the Rinok (street shops) well S.R. bought hers and Mine wouldn't work. I took it as a sign I shouldn't get the coat but needed to figure out why my account wouldn't work. Well The next morning we realized that the coat was actually 1000 dollars not 100. OOPS! yeah SR bought a 1000 dollar real fur and leather coat for her mission. No worries we took it back and everything is fine. I am sorry you were in a panic trying to figure out my account. Thanks! I hope this hasn't been too crazy! Uh I just laugh because I honestly feel really bad for being so stupid SORRY!!!!!! So yeah that is the funny story of the week that is only funny now because she has all her money back!
I would also like to apologize for my tangent on drunk men from last week. That was dumb and a waste of time. Anyways life in Ukraine is INCREDIBLE! I had a great week! Every week is incredible but this one was even better because of conference! Okay so everything that happened before conference was alright but conference just made everything better. We had a great lesson with our baptismal date named Stevlana. We had three members on the lesson! It was like relief society almost! but she is making friends and that is so important. It was also wonderful because they could answer all her questions and concerns. Because they are older have kids more experienced know the culture and last but not least they know that language (Russian) on a level that we only hope we could EVER be at.
On Tuesday we were called by President to drop everything we were doing and go 2 1/2 hours to an area to take a sister to the airport to fly to Russia for emergency surgery and then take her companion back to our area with us until zone meeting the next day. That was intense but exciting. It had been a long time sense I have been in a car other than a marshootka. We then had Zone Meeting. It was awesome President Stienegal is awesome. I love his enthusiasm for the work. It is contagious! I was just stoked to be the best missionary I could be! I love Zone Meetings we talked about the importance of the Holy ghost in conversion. I don't ever want to teach without the Holy Ghost. That is just so scary you are all on your own and not teaching the things they need to hear. Seems terrible! Heather I thought a lot about your blog comments on the Holy Ghost and not having the Gift for you life and making decisions without it is so hard. What a true principle. We are so blessed to have the gift of the holy ghost and we don't even realize how great it is because we take advantage of it a lot of the time. It is so important to always live your life worthy of the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost But it takes a lifetime to be worthy of the CONSTANT companionship.
Then on Friday night sister Carpenter and Sister Murphy came to our area. S Murphy is finished with her mission and is heading home. and sister carpenters future companion is the one that flew to Russia and wont be back for a while so she had to come to Kiev and find out what she is doing. Poor sister her life is crazy right now! I was so excited to see her we hugged 20 times in 2 minutes. We acted like little girls! I am so grateful for her. She is so awesome. I had a blast with her in the MTC!
Saturday we got to watch conference in English!!!!! i was so excited when we heard we would watch it in English rather than Russian! We watched it with all the Senior couple missionaries. It was so fun! WOW how amazing is conference it just got me so excited to be a better person. It really helps put you in your place and realized where you are in life and how much more you have to work to become more of the person you should be and want to be. It's such an amazing opportunity to listen to the prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint, the ONE true church on the face of the earth, speak to the world. They are speaking the words that our heavenly Father, and His son Jesus Christ would say to us if they we here. WOW So intense and powerful. And it is so sad that people just don't understand. We invite people to come and hear and they just don't realize how great of an opportunity it really is. But its okay that's why I am here is to help them realize how great it is.
Good news. sister Robinson and I totally had the power of conference at our back and went and had a lesson with our investigator and out of the blue she told this story and we just asked her. Do you want to be a member of this church. and she looked at us and thought about it and said yes. She said she felt like she had been led to the temple and that we have the right name of the church and all these things and even thought we invited her at church the week before and she said no she already had, she was just ready. And so we are trying to work out her work schedule so that she can come to church and then be baptised. She want to be baptised the 23 but we don't know if that will work out so well.
The work here is on the rise it is so amazing. Everywhere you turn there is another person that the Lord has just prepared. We are simply here to help them find exactly what it is they are looking for. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be here and be a representative of Jesus Christ my Savior and Redeemer. I know that if I do the best I can and rely on him, the spirit will lead and guide me to the elect. I know that they are out there and they are searching for the knowledge that we have it's just a matter of us relying on the spirit to lead us to them and continuously being worthy of that direction.
On Sunday we had another amazing day of conference and... our investigator came! We were so excited. She liked conference so much that she even decided to stay for the next session. I was so grateful for her. She got all dressed up with make-up and earrings and really went all out for the event. She is so cute, but her husband who is 30 years older than her won't read the Book of Mormon. He doesn't believe in the atonement or that Jesus is the son of God. He invites us over and then tries to teach us. The whole time we are there she is excited with questions and thoughts but never gets to speak because he is always talking. It is really sad and I wish I knew what to do better. I am also struggling to figure out the balance of creating good relationships with members and investigators and having the lessons. I want to teach them and help them find the truth but you also need to have a relationship and know each other and not be just there for the lesson. Time just flies. We spend lots of time at their houses and I feel like neither one was accomplished very well. It is too bad. I am working on it.
During conference I was Brett Jorgenson and his two sons in the choir! It totally made me happy! I was like hey I know them! It was a taste of home! I loved it. They showed him about 4-5 times. So you went to Elder Hewett's homecoming. I haven't read about it yet but I saw parts that you said it was really good. He seemed like he was a great missionary I am excited for him. That was really weird to get the e-mail from dad's phone from him. It was nice. Ha he signed it Elder Hewett it made me laugh. Tell him thanks if you see him again. The transformation after your mission seems like a rough one. I home that I am so incredibly awkward and that everyone is embarrassed of me. I think that means I did something right! Sister Howell and Murphy head home tomorrow at 3 in the morning. It's crazy to realize that people leave after being here. I don't think I want to come home. Sorry family I am just going to stay in Ukraine and be a missionary forever. After all they don't have an age limit on sisters serving missions :) But anyways they are leaving and that means it is just sister Robinson, carpenter and me that are the Ukrainian speakers. SAD! Ukrainian is dieing and I see the effects of it. Sister Murphy was born in my area too and she has managed to learn the language well. I think I will be able to do it too! It was nice to hear her say that learning Ukrainian here when all you are surrounded by is Russian is nearly impossible but keep your head up. It was great.
I don't really know the language at all but I am really good and learning from the Holy ghost. He helps me so much. I understand whats going on in lessons and that is what is important. I can figure out what they are saying and feeling. I don't know they exact words they use but I can catch on. OH! I did my first full contact in Ukrainian. I giggled my poor heart out I was so stinking nervous! But I told her about the BOM read the intro page with her and then got her number and we are meeting with her on Saturday! I CAN DO HARD THINGS! yeay! I was totally on a high after that! I loved where I am and what I am doing. I love you all and think the world of you! I hope that you boys realize how awesome missions are and that you prepared everyday till you go on one. and sisters- Prepare to serve one with your husbands. They are awesome and even though you won't get this same experience I promise you will love it and have your own fun experiences. I can't wait to serve a mission with my best friend later on in life. you will love it! I love you! Thanks for the love. Heather I loved the pictures of the ragnar! I can't wait to run with you sisters when I get home! Much love!
Sister Schmidt

No comments:

Post a Comment